Sunday, May 9, 2010

What do married couples from different cultures do when it's time to decide what to cook and eat?

What do couples that come from different countries and eat complete different things decide to do. Most of the time the woman is the one who cooks but what if this woman is japanese, hispanic, or from certain european country or whatever and all she knows is how to cook the traditional dishes from her country and the person who she is married to is an american who isn't accustomed to that kind of food or doesn't know how to cook.





What people in this situation do?





You can put different nationalities in this situation, it justs an example. I would love to read personal experiences.What do married couples from different cultures do when it's time to decide what to cook and eat?
the cook decides.


I have been married to an asian woman for 42 years and we always take turns. one cooks and one cleans up. neither of us are great cooks, but have simple tastes and are very adventurous and forgiving. we both have learned to eat many foods. she makes good spaghetti now and I can whip up a mean adobo. I am not a ';cook'; but simply have learned how to make food hot without burning it.


we eat all kinds of different meals. try to avoid carbs or eat complex carbs( brown rice, whole wheat tortilla etc)


we use meat in small qualities, mostly for flavor and include lots of fresh veggies and salads. never dessert.


I love her rice noodles and chicken with tomatoes. ( kind of asian spaghetti)


YUM. this is making me hungry.


she fixes me corn beef and cabbage for special treat and we often cheat our health diet with polish sausage and saukraut.


one favorite we both like is grilled chedder cheese whole wheat sandwiches with cream of tomato soup( skim milk) and a few twisty noodles in the soup. serve witl dill pickles or green olivesWhat do married couples from different cultures do when it's time to decide what to cook and eat?
what ever women decides, thats what happen in my family and i am from a contempary indian family
My friend is Thai and married to an American. They eat a lot of Thai food since that is what she grew up eating...she loves to cook Thai food. Her husband likes Thai so there is no problem there. They do eat American and other food too, but she tells me even when they do, she has to eat rice every day...just like Americans feel like they need to eat bread or potatoes everyday. I know that when she visits her in laws, she has trouble because it's meat and potatoes and casseroles all the time...too much American food for her!
hey there. i'm visiting my aunt (who was from singapore just like me) who lives in italy with her american husband.





well, i got to know they actually eat both american and asian food.... cos my uncle loves asian food, but he can't let go of the grills and stuffs.





not bad......





the best thing is, due to the long distanced nature of the family structure, my aunt will always call my granny (her mum) for new recipes. at the same time, they'd learn certain recipes they see in cookshows.
I think the conversation would probably go something like this:





Wife: What would like for dinner?


Husband: I don't know, what would you like to fix.


Wife: I don't know, why don't we go out to dinner?


Husband: Okay, sounds great. Where would you like to go?


Wife: I don't know.


Husband: Well what you like for dinner?


Wife: I don't know. What would you like?


Husband: How about Chinese?


Wife: No, I'm not really in the mood for Chinese.


Husband: Well, how about a steak?


Wife: No, steak doesn't really appeal to me.


Husband: Would you like me to fix dinner?


Wife: Yes, that would be wonderful.


Husband: What would you like me to fix?


Wife: I don't know, what would you like to fix?


Husband: How about a steak and a nice fresh salad?


Wife: No, why don't we go out?


(And so it goes.)
When I was growing up, years ago, I lived with my grandparents. Grandmother was German and Grandad was Irish, and they had this arrangement; grandad made the living, and grandmother ran the household, including the kitchen. When she fixed a meal and put it on the table that's what everybody ate. I didn't know men had any say in the matter till I was married myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment