Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is your opinion of couples getting married and choosing a entirely new last name together?

I just read an article about couples who create a new last (when they marry) name sometimes out of combining their maiden names. What is your opinion on this?





I personally don't see why a woman should take her husbands name... or why a man should take his wife. If marriage truely is about equality and starting new lives together than surely new last names make sense.





I like the idea of both keeping their old last names as middle names too.What is your opinion of couples getting married and choosing a entirely new last name together?
The family names was created to preserve the history, genealogically (the family of), geographically (van somewhere), or even professionally (taylor, smith etc). It is also about preserving the resource your (big) family own. Some use matrilineal system, most of society use patrilineal system.





But somewhere in the history, I think the function is more or less lost.





I think it's okay to make new family name for a new couple, we will have a lot of family names variety, but may be we will lose our relation to the bigger family, or the historical link where we came from. If it's important any longer, then so be it.What is your opinion of couples getting married and choosing a entirely new last name together?
I have never heard of couples creating a new last name, to me that is a bit odd, what's the point of creating a new last name. Double barrel the surname, but don't make one up!





As for a woman taking her husbands last name (and vice versa) at the end of the day its personally choice. A few of my friends haven't taken their husbands last name and a few of them have
I don't really like the idea to be honest. You may think I'm old fashioned or being chauvinistic but when I get married I'd want my wife to take my surname...or if my surname sounded completely ridiculous with her first name I'd take hers (this happened to my friedn Hannah who married a man who's surname was Hanna...he took her surname).





To me, it isn't about one submitting to the other and 'giving up' their last name, its about created a new family with a family name...it's about unity.





In most western cultures, to my knowledge, the norm is for the woman to take the man's surname, but i know there are places were the opposite is the norm.





The idea of creating a new surname is just a little weird to me...
I've heard of double barreled names, but never making a new one up completely.





When i marry i will be Charlotte Rebecca Clayforth-Kean,


My child's last name will be Clayforth-Kean, and my partner is adding my name Clayforth to his so he will be Clayforth-Kean.


Our reason, There is only one male left to carry on the Clayforth name in my family, and so we don't loose such a wonderful name, we're double barreling it.
It's a great idea. You don't have to use your husband's last name or your last name. I would never use my maiden name for my last name. I really hate it so much. Any last name would be great for me. I would never use my last name or my husband's last name as a middle name. I don't like that idea but I really like the idea of changing both last names.
I think that changing you name is a very personal decision. There is the appeal of getting a new last name to start a new chapter of your life, but it only works if you don't have any attachment to your current name. I also think that a couple should have the same last name, especially if they are thinking about kids.
i have an uncle who used his wife's and his first name to create a new last name for their kids (i live in a part of the world where last names don't really matter). i find it pretty awesome. i say go ahead; you're probably one of the very few people who would want to though.
That's an awesome idea! Why should it (almost) always be the woman who changes her name? Even though people say you'll be losing history of your name, you'll actually be starting a new history with your new name. Go for it!
I've never ever heard of that before! I think it's great if you feel really strongly about it...........





but in all seriousness I don't see why a name would matter that much........ It's about being together, not what your names are.....
Everyone should just stick with their own names. Like in Spain. There you die with the same name you're born with, even if you marry five times in between. The Spanish are smart people.
I love the idea! I'd always have to keep my original maiden name though, because it's who I am. But a new last name does sound great!
wow i never heard of that but i had no intetions of loosing my last name i just had maiden-new last name combining last name no not my style
I think that still changes your identity once you are married. I would keep my last name as it is who I have been all my life and being married doesn't mean changing who I am. Taking the mans last name is as sexist as woman being called Mrs once they are married instead of Miss. It makes a statement of belonging to someone else. Defines you by your marital status. Or being someone else because you are married. It seems old fashioned to me.





Making up a new name, although it means that things are equal between the two of you, also means giving up that name that you have had all your life and by which people know you. It does how ever make choosing which surname your children will have a lot easier (but since you are not actually changing your child's name it wouldn't matter which name they take on, as long as the parents can agree).





It also means you will lose the history that comes with that name. And what name are you to chose? One that doesn't belong to you and belongs to people totally unrelated to you.





A new life together doesn't mean a new person and therefore I am for keeping you own surname. My mother, however, made her maiden name her middle name. And then that name also got passed down to my brother and I as our middle name too. So we still have it as part of out name.





haha i have too much to say about this. I have been trying to argue with my partner that if I kept my name it does not mean I don't love him, just means I want to keep being called by my name. I wouldn't change my first name at this stage in my life, nor my last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment