Sunday, May 9, 2010

What kind of lawyer should I search for that deals with unmarried couples?

Hi, the thing is that me and my boyfriend bought a house, car and pay bills together. We broke up a while ago, and I was wondering what kind of lawyer I could look for that can help me with the legal matters of the house, since we're both on the loan together, and I would like to put the house for sale or get out of the loan, since I don't trust him; and for the car and stuff.What kind of lawyer should I search for that deals with unmarried couples?
Real estate lawyerWhat kind of lawyer should I search for that deals with unmarried couples?
You need a real estate attorney who is also well versed in domestic relations. Depending on where you are and how long you and your b/f were together, there could be a property settlement in the offing, rather than just getting your name off the loan. In Washington, unmarried couples who've been together and basically acted as husband %26amp; wife for a required period of time can basically get the unmarried couples version of a divorce. It might be called an ';intimate relationship'; or a ';meretricious relationship'; or words to that effect. A good family attorney can tell you if yours is such a situation.
How long were you guys together? Check in your state what falls under common law. If you are in that category you are classified as married in a way so you might be able to get a divorce lawyer to help you.





Good luck!
General practice or one versed in real estate law would be my guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment