Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can the IRS split tax rebate checks for seprated couples?

Me and my wife split after we filed taxes together (we received a refund check shortly after we filed). Now are not on speaking terms and headed toward divorce (no divorce has been filed yet).





I will be getting the rebate check at my address with both of our names on it. Is there a way to contact the IRS and ask to send two separate checks, one with my name and one with hers?





If not, what other options do I have?Can the IRS split tax rebate checks for seprated couples?
Nope, one check in both names.


Agree to meet at the bank, she signs, you give her half in cash.Can the IRS split tax rebate checks for seprated couples?
Per IRS website FAQ's (www.irs.gov) here is what the answer is:


Q. My spouse and I have divorced and the Stimulus Payment check is made out to both of us. Can I cash it?





A. If the check is made payable to both of you, then both must endorse the check. Even if you and your spouse are now divorced, both must sign the check. By law, each spouse is considered to receive half of the payment in cases where a joint 2007 return was filed.





If the filers chose to have their tax refund direct deposited, the Stimulus Payment will be direct deposited into the same account that received the tax refund.
A suggested option:


If you still have a joint bank or credit union account deposit the refund there.


I'd even mail it so that some teller doesn't have the opportunity to ask for both signatures. Just put '; for deposit to account #xxxxxxxxx'; in the signature space on the back.
No, there will be one check, with both names, and both of you will have to sign it. I guess you'll just have to bite the bullet and speak again at least to get this signed.
No the check cannot be split. You'll have to split it yourself.
  • sunscreen
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment